If you are looking for guidance on how to void a check in QuickBooks, then you are in the right place.
There can be several reasons that might require you to void a check in QuickBooks. Voiding
is especially useful when you had made a mistake on a check to be used as payment for the invoice. There are instances when you might enter the wrong amount on the check or sanction the check to the wrong person. Likewise, multiple issues might require you to void check payments. When you void a check-in QuickBooks, its record is maintained in the account and the check amount is set to zero. Thus, the void is a useful feature recommended for all check reversal transactions. All voided transactions along with voided check details are stored in the QuickBooks account.
Now let us explore different ways on how to void a check in QuickBooks.
Method 1: How to Void a Check in QuickBooks
- Launch QuickBooks, go to “Banking”, and then select “Use Register”.
- Locate the account from where you filled the check details.
- Next, select the check number you want to void.
- Now, from the menu open “Edit”, and select “Void Check”.
- After this, select “Yes” to confirm the check void. This sets the check amount to zero and updates the company account with the current period the check was voided on.
- If you want the check to be voided using the date it was written on and do not update the company journal, then select “NO”.
At last, select “Record” to finalize the void.
Method 2: How to Void a Payroll Check in QuickBooks
- Launch QuickBooks, go to “Employees”. If you are using some other payroll service, then select “Payroll Center”.If you are using QuickBooks, select “Void Paychecks”.
- Next, locate the “Show Paychecks From and Through” option and enter the date range at which the check was written.
- From displayed checks, select the paycheck you want to void and hit the “Void” button.
A window will pop up displaying instructions follow them and confirm the process.
- Once done, the amount on the check will be set to zero and will be displayed as “Void” in the check Memo section.
- When driven, click “Done” to close the window.
Method 3: How to Void a Paper Check in QuickBooks
- Launch QuickBooks, go to “Banking”.
- Select “Write Checks”.
- Go to the “Expenses” section and access the account where the check was written from.
- Next, carefully enter the “Check number”. For “$” and date, enter “0.00” and enter the name of the payee in the “Pay to the person/business of ” fields.
- From “Edit” section, click on “Void Check”. If you want to void the check on the current date select “Yes”. This will set the check’s amount to zero and the company’s journal with a current period on which the check was voided.
- Select “No” if you do not want to update the company’s journal but want to use the initial date of writing the check for voiding it.
Once done, hit “Record” to complete the void process.
How to unvoid a check in QuickBooks
To unvoid a check in QuickBooks, you are required to record the original transaction again. For this, follow the steps given below:
- Firstly, open the voided transactions.
- Select the page of the transaction.
- Select audit history and show all to view transaction details.
- Now, re-enter transaction details in the bank register, similarly, like the original transaction was recorded.
This is all you need to know about how to void a check in QuickBooks. I hope this guide helps you with the process. Well, voiding a check in QuickBooks is not rocket science. Using, these simple steps are very easy and convenient. Take advantage of this guide and do share it with your friends. That’s not the end. Performing all tasks in QuickBooks is super easy. This accounting software is like a boon for small and medium-scale organizations. Companies can leverage their benefits to boost their business efficiency and productivity. Moreover, your employees will also feel empowered and comfortable to work in your company.